Saturday, June 30, 2012

Cheap Sleeps

Blog entry Posting a tad early, as I'll be hiking in the Crimean mountains this week (guess what? The tour costs $100). As I haven't got all my receipts together to write about Ukraine, I thought I would mention some ways to minimize your accommodation costs. The reason I don't include lodging prices in "What I did.." is I do my best to avoid paying for a place to sleep. Many of my trips are visits to friends, which in addition to a couch, means I usually have a free guide. Sometimes this means missing the "important" sights in a particular country, but I always have a good time. If I want to go somewhere I don't know anyone, I use CouchSurfing. Even if I can't get a host, there are good tips in the forums, and members who are willing to meet up for coffee or a drink. Not infrequently, I will sleep in the airport or train station my first or last night. Airports are preferable in this circumstance, but their comfort and safety varies drastically. Many places hide electrical outlets or put armrests between the chairs to discourage lingering in certain areas. You can read airport reviews at Sleepinginairports.net. The best airport I have slept in is the F terminal of Kyiv Boryspil Airport. The worst-- Geneva Airport. Hostels are good option for those who require beds and hot showers. Again, there is a great range of price and quality-- and these factors aren't exclusive of each other. Ask for a recommendation from a friend with similar travel tastes, or check out photos and reviews at booking.com or hostelworld. Don't forget to look at the hostels location with regard to the things you want to see. When you've found a place that suits you, try to contact them directly about rates instead of settling for what you see on a third party site. You might get a better deal for last minute or long-term bookings.

No comments: