Friday, June 20, 2008

Des Mauvaises Choses, des Bonnes Choses

As the seriously overpriced shuttle wisked us off to Beauvais to catch our plane to Stockholm, I was beginning to have serious doubts about whether or not I really wanted to go through with the trip to Sweden. By the time we had landed, and boarded yet another ridiculous bus, I was petrified with fear to be in an expensive country whose language I do not know. That and, I discovered my camera screen had broken.

Then something amazing happened. Football.

I wasn't sure if our group was going to be able to catch the Turkey-Croatia quarter final game, but we saw several groups of people shouting and waving flags, so we figured we'd be able to follow them to a local bar with a TV. Instead, we found ourselves in one of the city squares in front of a giant screen projecting the game to at least 2,000 exuberant Turkish supporters. Fish and chips in my belly, a semi-familiar language in my ears, and I was feeling much better.

The best part of the night was that Turkey won. After pulling off an impossible tie in the last thirty seconds of overtime stoppage, Turkey crushed Croatia in penalty kicks. Even without pictures, I know I will remember tonight forever.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

NO pictures?? Oh no! Can you buy a disposable camera? Something?